Thursday, March 11, 2010

I got invited to my 10 year HS reunion. It's going to be in August in California. In the past I've been very pro-reunion, but now that it's mine I'm not so sure. I have no interest in comparing accomplishments, making new friends in remote places, or seeing how much people have changed when we weren't friends in the first place.

There are only a couple friends from high school that I'd be interested in seeing again who I don't see already when I go home. (Actually, the only friend I see at home now is Dan, and he's always been very anti-reunion.) The girl who is organizing it wasn't a friend of mine so all the enthusiastically accepting invitees on the facebook event page aren't friends either. I guess it's a wait and see game at this point. Will my interest, as a function of the particular people going, be greater than the time costs of attending? I'll give it a month or so, and then start asking people (Morio, Adam, Moises, Sean... hmm, who else..) whether they're planning on going. Those kids live all over the place so it'd be efficient to see them all at once.

I remember graduating and thinking "In 10 years I'll remember these people as well as I can remember my second grade classmates." At the time I couldn't remember all that much of second grade, but I think I remember high school better than that.

I'm heading off to Vietnam on the 25th. Re-planned to coordinate with a motorcycling trip around Northern VA with Dave, Tom, and Tom's friend from the rafting trip. The 27th is the end of our quarter at work so now I have to get lots of work done in less time than usual. This will be the first time I actually finish a quarter early.

Kate: Joe thinks albinos are the master race.
Amber: Nobody even likes albinos.
me: Except other albinos.
Amber: No albinos can't be friends. They know that more than one albino hanging out together becomes a spectacle.

No comments: