Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Champions at trivia tonight! Probably not due to my contributions. Don't listen to me when I talk about chewing gum being a non-food choking hazard, but do listen to Rachel when it's about Charles Lindbergh's age. (I think I ballparked that one with my contribution of "Well, James Stewart wasn't super young or very old." ...Actually, Wikipedia says James Stewart was 48 years old when he filmed The Spirit of St. Louis, which was one of the noteable inaccuracies of that movie. Whoops.)

None of us knew about the "Hubble length". Though the trivia DJ's understanding of it was wrong. He said the Hubble length is the width of the observable universe. That would be true if the universe wasn't expanding, but due to its expansion we can observe much further. (Actually, he may have said "visible universe" which I guess would be accurate.) (And I just noticed that I messed up the addition on my credit card bill, so that the bill+tip does not equal the total. Nobody's perfect.)

There was some discussion in the car about why our team does so poorly in Arlington but so well in DC. The Arlington crowd is a little older, but I think its more important that the trivia DJ in DC is our age, and I'm not sure where he gets his questions from but they're less about history and geography, and more specific about current pop culture or quirky facts you might notice on wikipedia. Tonight's music round, for example, was mostly pop singles from the 90s, with a bit of Michael Jackson from the 70s and one song from the 60s. No classical music, no country music, nothing too werid. It's like music you or I would have on our ipod.  Also, there was a round entirely about "most profitable film franchises" and wikipedia has a chart showing exactly that.  I think the DJ guy just researches random stuff off Wikipedia.

No comments: