Thursday, May 31, 2012

I've been watching Burn Notice because my cousin David recommended it. I guess it's like Justified, but I don't like it nearly as much. Justified takes place in the dirty south among hillbillies and disgusting druggies while Burn Notice is in Miama and all the characters are Miami-slick. Every episode is like Ocean's Eleven, where the emotions displayed range from pre-mission smug self-assuredness to post-mission, "I knew it would work," smug self-congratulation. When a good guy finally gets captured, I find myself wishing that the resulting interrogation/torture would involve some actual emotional display. Instead it's all carefree witty banter amid violence, like Mr. and Mrs. Smith or James Bond. I find myself hoping for interrogations that include severed fingers or something else that might wipe the smirks off their faces.

I guess comparing the show to bad movies is a sign that I don't like the show, but I did manage to watch the entire first season and it had some entertaining moments. Bruce Campbell is of course endlessly likeable and the main guy has occasional funny moments. There's also a one and a half-dimensional character of a woman the writers threw into the mix but she doesn't ruin every scene (though she does try). It's all mildly entertaining, but it's no Justified.

(from the Veep)
Oil Lobbyist: This bill is a f***ing disgrace. And I'm going to see to it personally that it gets chewed up like a dead prostitute in a woodchipper. Just wanted to let you know.

No comments: