Tuesday, April 13, 2010

If you've seen both Terminator 2 and Back to the Future, you might appreciate this video as much as I did.

I watched The Hangover last night. It was like Dude Where's My car mixed with Old School. And both those movies sucked, so I guess you can't expect much better. I remember Ryan Douglass in college trying to tell me how Old School is great because it has so many quotable lines and I thought "Well, you're an idiot, and that movie is mediocre at best." The Hangover might have had some good lines but the story sucked. Too much randomness in the plot with all the characters acting every time like "OMG I can't believe this happened!" Well I couldn't believe it either. Even if it had seemed likely, hearing about people who got drunk and did stupid, random things just isn't entertaining for me. I know that the time Eric showed up drunk at our dorm room carrying a large traffic cone I was not amused at all.

Humor is a strange thing. I didn't like The Hangover, Old School or Anchorman. But I did like Roadtrip, which this director also made. If you look through user reviews on amazon or user comments on rottentomatoes you'll find people with all different opinions about the very same set of movies. Some people hated roadtrip but loved the hangover. Some people hated them both but loved Talladega Nights. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to any of it. Someone should do a very large study correlating people's senses of humor their other traits to find out what exactly your particular combination of tastes mean.

Today I've been watching this show called Skins on Netflix. British high school kids drama. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching. I am entertained.

(arguing about the meaning of the Mountain Goats song "Dinu Lipatti's Bones")
Mindsale: Dinu Lipatti was a pianist, yes. But she also died of leukemia at the age of 33. Where does leukemia reside? Bone marrow. Hence, this song may be about one's Kryptonite. Or perhaps the uselessness of an object. Or, likelier still, Darnielle owns Dinu Lipatti's bones and intends to build a broadcasting tower. Literally.

No comments: