Friday, March 23, 2012

I've been watching a little Battlestar Galactica. It's sometimes hard to watch because it takes itself sooo seriously. That and the characters like to say "frack," which sounds idiotic, and about 1/4 of each episode is spent watching people running around on some far off planet (and I'm pretty sure their story will never rejoin the rest of the characters). There's also a worrisome "ends justify the means" thread running through the series, almost like 24.

My last and biggest problem with the show is that every cylon spy is a woman who uses sex to manipulate unsuspecting/sex-crazed/stupid men. Not a very flattering depiction of women, or men I guess. And I think we're averaging like 2 lingeringly slow sex scenes per episode because of it.

Meh. I watched the first season while doing work this week and I don't think I'm going to watch any more of it.

I've also been watching this brit show Doc Martin and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I recommend it much more than Battlestar Galactica (which I guess I don't recommend, actually). It's like Northern Exposure except the doctor is like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.

(Dale gets a job as a waiter at Hooters)
Hank: I can't believe you took the job.
Dale: I had to! They only offered me the job 'cause they thought I wouldn't take it. They were calling my bluff. Now I'm calling their bluff! It's a classic double bluff reverso!

No comments: