Monday, January 10, 2011

I bought a EEE PC netbook just before winter break and I'm not very happy with it. First, the keyboard is difficult to type on. It's a compact keyboard, but even more compact than the usual laptop keyboard, and it's not very sensitive. I had no trouble typing quickly on my old laptop, but on this thing I have to deliberately push every single button or it won't recognize the presses. Also the touch pad is way too sensitive and obtrusive. So I touch it all the time and it loves to click out of the field I'm typing in. Or it will click back to the beginning of the field and I'll find myself suddenly typing at the beginning again. Between making sure to press each key firmly and being careful not to touch the touchpad, my typing speed is down to like 10 words per minute.

It also has some major software problems, but those are my fault. And I could fix them, if only using the thing wasn't such a nightmare. Its wireless network seems slow too for some reason. That might be a software issue, though I've updated the drivers and windows thinks it's working fine. Other than that, it has some great hardware packed into it, and it rocks at performing tasks, so long as you don't actually have to type or interact with it. It's good at decoding videos and right now I'm mostly just using it as a server. It's not quite what I was hoping for it.

I got all dressed up and came into the office but the attorney I'm meeting with isn't until Wednesday. I had written the wrong date on my calendar somehow. Grr.

(Playing poker with some cousins. Someone called for a game of Screw Your Neighbor, which other players negatively characterized as not being a game of skill. It was a long game, and people sorta started to go their separate ways, getting food and watching tv, as they lost. At the end of the game there were only 3 people left at the table.)
Mike: So is that it? Did you ruin our game with your long-winded game of chance?

No comments: